Series: Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls
Published by Scholastic on 09/01/2008
There's a whole new set of rules to learn when you're the new girl!
When you are starting at a brand-new school, you have to wear something good. Allie Finkle's starting her first day of school at Pine Heights Elementary! Plus, she's getting a new kitten, the first pick of show cat Lady Serena Archibald's litter!
But being the New Girl is turning out to be scary, too, especially since one of the girls in Allie's new class -- Rosemary -- doesn't like her. In fact, Rosemary says she's going to beat Allie up after school.
I primarily review teen books on this blog, with an occasional middle-grade or adult book thrown in. As I’ve mentioned recently, I’m in a reading slump, so I thought it would be good for me to change it up. I read a lot of children’s books because I am a children’s librarian. I LOVE kids books, but I hadn’t read one (besides picture books – I read these all the time because I am always searching for new books for story times) since I’ve been reading so many teen books. It felt great to read a kids books, and since it is by Meg Cabot, I thought I would write up a review for this book. But back to the actual review.
This book was extremely adorable, and very Meg Cabot-esque (that is totally a compliment!!!). Allie Finkle was an awesome MC – a very realistic fourth grader. Allie has many rules, and they are spread throughout the whole novel. Her rules are so cute. The rules cover many subjects, including what to wear on the first day of a new school, to never eat anything red (especially tomatoes), to not lying to adults.
I loved Allie’s relationships with her new friends, Sophie, Caroline and Erica. They were very determined to help each other out. Allie’s little brothers, parents, and grandma were great too. Oh, and definitely Uncle Jay.
I enjoyed the whole story arc of this book. Basically it is about Allie adjusting to a new school, and dealing with a school bully. The ending was very cute, and definitely satisfying. If you are a fan of the Ivy and Bean series (oh my gosh, this series is too cute) by Annie Barrows, the Clementine series by Sara Pennypacker (also absolutely adorable), of the Just Grace series by Charise Mericle Harper, you will like these books.
Do you guys ever read kids books? Because I love them!!
- Went to visit my friend and her new baby girl on Sunday. I held baby for 40 minutes, and it was wonderful. babies are so cute!
- Went to the zoo with my cousin and her four kids. I love the Rosamond Gifford Zoo. My favorite animals there are the Asian elephants, fennec foxes, and the tigers.
- I’m really struggling to get out of my reading slump! It’s so frustrating. I hope I can get out of it soon.
- I’ve been watching Bones on Netflix. I’ve seen the early episodes before, but I am re-watching them. Fun, but a big time-waster.
- Found a pretty dress for my cousins wedding. It’s purple with a floral print. Very feminine.