I received this book for free from Netgalley/Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Under Pressure by Lori Foster
Series: Body Armor #1
Published by HQN Books on January 24th 2017
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
He can protect anything except his heart
Leese Phelps’s road hasn’t been an easy one, but it’s brought him to the perfect job — working for the elite Body Armor security agency. And what his newest assignment lacks in size, she makes up for in fire and backbone. But being drawn to Catalina Nicholson is a dangerous complication, especially since it could be the very man who hired Leese who’s threatening her.
What Catalina knows could get her killed. But who’d believe the sordid truth about her powerful stepfather? Beyond Leese’s ripped body and brooding gaze is a man of impeccable honour. He’s the last person she expects to trust — and the first who’s ever made her feel safe. And he’s the only one who can help her expose a deadly secret, if they can just stay alive long enough...
I have long been a Lori Foster fan. She’s one of the few auto-read authors I have. Some of my favorite re-reads are her books. I am always looking forward to her upcoming releases, but I was especially excited for Under Pressure, the first book in Lori Foster’s new Body Armour series. While I absolutely enjoyed Under Pressure by Lori Foster, it didn’t quite live up to my expectations.
What I Liked:
- I loved Leese a lot. As he was a recurring character from her previous series, I already knew Leese. But I ended up liking him even more in Under Pressure. He’s starting a new job as a bodyguard, and he takes it very seriously.
- I also appreciated that Leese admitted to the time he was kind of a jerk (from previous series) and actively worked to be a better person.
- I loved how protective Leese was with Cat. She was in danger, and he was determined to keep her safe, even risking his own safety.
- I liked Cat. I didn’t love her (more below) but I liked her. She is a nice person, and she means well. She never wanted anyone hurt trying to protect her, and while that frustrated me at times, I did respect it.
- Cat and Leese made a cute couple. I did want them to be together, although I wasn’t super invested in their relationship (more on that below).
- I also liked how open Cat was with Leese. She did not hide the fact that she was interested in him.
- Justice, who was a side character, was awesome! To be quite honest, he might have been my favorite character, and I am for sure looking forward to his book.
What I Struggled With:
- I never felt the connection between Leese and Cat. I did want them to be together, but more because I was reading a romance, and not so much because I just felt like they were the best couple ever.
- Cat was kind of frustrating, from her refusal to give information to body guards who were trying to help her, to how she acted sometimes. For instance, she gets all fancied up when she’s hiding out, and the whole scene felt odd. I had a hard time believing she was get all dressed up when crazy things were happening.
- The suspense and mystery aspects were a little sketchy, in my opinion. A number of times things happened that felt more like a way to move the plot, instead of things that would realistically happen.
- There were a lot of peculiar names in this book: Leese, Webb.
Although I love Lori Foster’s books, not all can be winners. Under Pressure wasn’t a home run book for me, but it is a pleasant read. I’m glad I read it, and I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.