Series: From Manhattan with Love #1
Published by HQN Books on May 31st 2016
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
USA TODAY bestselling author Sarah Morgan introduces a sizzling new trilogy about three best friends embracing life—and love—in Manhattan
Cool, calm and competent, events planner Paige Walker loves a challenge. After a childhood spent in and out of hospitals, she's now determined to prove herself—and where better to take the world by storm than in the exhilarating bustle of Manhattan? But when Paige is let go from the job she loves, she must face her biggest challenge of all—going it alone.
Except launching her own events company is nothing compared to hiding her outrageous crush on Jake Romano—her brother's best friend, New York's most in-demand date, and the only man to break her heart. When Jake offers Paige's fledgling company a big chance, their still-sizzling chemistry starts giving her sleepless nights. But can she convince the man who trusts no one to take a chance on forever?
It wasn’t too long ago when I discovered Sarah Morgan. I’ve read a number of her shorter novels, but just a handful of her full-length novels. I read and enjoyed the third book, Miracle on 5th Avenue, in this series last year, so decided to go back to the first one. Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan was a solid contemporary romance, with a lot going for it, but it wasn’t love for me.
What’s the Story:
Paige, along with her two best friends Eva and Frankie work for an event planning company in New York City. They are unexpectedly let go, and decide to start their own company. Paige is amazing with details and schedules, and it was largely her idea and dream to start the company, so she feels a lot of pressure to make sure this endeavor succeeds. Jake is Paige’s brother’s best friend. Although Paige has always been attracted to him (and he to her) nothing has ever come of it. But that is about to change.
What I Liked:
- The friendships! I know I am not alone in loving books with strong female friendships, and Sleepless in Manhattan has the friendship between Paige, Frankie and Eva right at the center of it. It’s so easy to understand why these three are best friends, and it’s amazing to see how well they work together.
- Paige was seriously easy to love. She had some serious health-issues as a child which has led to her brother and her parents coddling her a bit. But she doesn’t want that, and I love how determined she is to be independent now that she’s healthy. She’s ready to live her life.
- I also love how competent Paige is. She’s the ultimate organizer, and that makes my Type A personality so happy. She’s confident in herself when it comes to her job.
- Jake was an interesting hero. I didn’t love him (more on that below) but once he got past all his issues, I did think he and Paige were good for each other.
- Sarah Morgan did such a wonderful job of showing how close Paige, Frankie, Eva, Matt and Jake were. And even everyone in their community in NYC. It felt like a tight-knit family.
What I Struggled With:
- Jake was not my favorite hero. He has some issues which make him think he isn’t good for Paige, and that got old fast.
- He also has this idea that he needs to be jerky to Paige so she doesn’t start crushing on him, and that was just so obnoxious!!!
- Because Jake frustrated me a lot, I often felt like Paige should have moved on a long time ago.
- There is a bit of an info dump at the beginning which was kind of boring.
- I didn’t love the narrator. She was fine for the women characters, but her voice for Jake just did not work for me. I don’t know if it was written that way, or if she just added the accent, but I didn’t care for it at all.
Sarah Morgan is a great contemporary romance author that I recommend. That said, Sleepless in Manhattan isn’t my favorite. However, I think others would definitely enjoy it.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: